Shaughnessy is an almost entirely residential neighbourhood in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, spanning about 447 hectares in a relatively central locale. It is bordered by 16th Avenue to the north, 41st Avenue to the south, Oak Street to the east, and East Boulevard to the west. First Shaughnessy, considered more prestigious, is bordered by 16th Avenue to the north, King Edward Avenue to the south, Oak Street to the east, and East Boulevard to the west. In 2011, the population was approximately 8,807. It was named after Thomas Shaughnessy, 1st Baron Shaughnessy, former president of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
The neighbourhood’s residents have an average annual household income of $105,000 ($777,184 in Shaughnessy Heights) and the average house price is $2.89 million, the highest in Vancouver. It is also the site of many historical homes, especially in First Shaughnessy. Of the neighbourhood’s homes 51.5% were built before or during World War II, compared with 20.8% for the city at large. This is largely due to the 1981 First Shaughnessy Official Development Plan by-law, which promotes private property ownership and single-family dwelling, while limiting property subdivision and population density.
The neighbourhood was created in 1907 by the Canadian Pacific Railway, then the largest real estate developer in Canada. It was meant as an alternative to the West End, which was the traditional home for the budding city’s elite. Thanks to aggressive marketing by the Railroad, highly regulated development, and a stronger degree of exclusiveness, it gradually took the latter’s status over the past century. Shaughnessy is known for its elegant tree-lined streets and large properties. In First Shaughnessy, Angus Drive and Osler Street have a tree-lined median in addition to the trees along the edge of the road.
Shaughnessy is home to Little Flower Academy, Vancouver College, and York House School. The public elementary schools are Shaughnessy Elementary and Quilchena Elementary. There is one public high school in Shaughnessy, Point Grey Secondary. The neighbourhood is in the catchment area of each of Eric Hamber Secondary School, in Oakridge, or Prince of Wales Secondary School, in Arbutus Ridge.
Shaughnessy has five parks, including Shaughnessy Park, formally known as Crescent Park, and Angus Park in First Shaughnessy. The other three parks in Shaughnessy are Devonshire Park, Kerrisdale Park, and VanDusen Botanical Garden, located between King Edward Avenue and 41st Avenue, just south of First Shaughnessy. The Arbutus Greenway, purchased by the City of Vancouver from Canadian Pacific Railway, stretches along the western border of Shaughnessy from 41st Avenue to 16th Avenue.
When moving to form, and within Shaughnessy, Vancouver, consider using Brothers Moving Service Vancouver for your apartment, home, office, and furniture removal needs. We offer a wide range of services to make your move as smooth and stress-free as possible, including packing, unpacking, furniture assembly and disassembly. We have experience in handling all types of moves, whether you’re relocating a small apartment or a large home. Additionally, we are specialized in handling luxury and high-end properties in Shaughnessy, making sure that your belongings are handled with care and precision. With our competitive prices and commitment to customer satisfaction, Brothers Moving Service Vancouver is a great choice for your move to Shaughnessy, Vancouver.
- Moving company in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Shaughnessy, Vancouver movers
- Professional movers in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Relocation services in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Residential moving in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Commercial moving in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Packing and unpacking in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Loading and unloading in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Local moving in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Long distance moving in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Storage solutions in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Insurance coverage in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Free estimates in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Experienced movers in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Flexible scheduling in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Dependable service in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Affordable prices in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Customer satisfaction in Shaughnessy, Vancouver
- Shaughnessy, Vancouver specific moving and storage services
- Expertise in handling luxury and high-end properties in Shaughnessy, Vancouver